Preparing for your first virtual therapy appointment? Here are 5 simple tips to help you get started
Updated: May 16
Want food delivered at 12:00 am? Go Online!
Want your house cleaned? Go Online!
Looking for a gift to give your loved one? Yep, Go Online!
In a world where all our needs can be fulfilled with the mere click of a button, why should treating our Mental Health be any different? With ever changing times and the increasing awareness of common challenges such as stress and anxiety faced by individuals, therapy today is at our fingertips.
Below are some ways YOU can prepare for your first virtual therapy appointment!
1. Pick a safe space - Attending your first therapy session online = being able to attend the session from the comfort of your home. No more awkward waiting rooms and no more long waiting lines, pick a spot where you know you can be alone and get comfortable.
PRO TIP - Light a scented candle or brew yourself a cup of tea to calm your nerves.It is your safe space, make sure it is comfortable for you.
2. State your preferences -Your therapy session is a time for YOU to be comfortable. Not comfortable with the camera being on? Let them know! Want your sessions to happen weekly? Ask them!
Make the process your own :)
3. Plan for emergencies - Have a huge meeting coming up and you can feel your stress levels increase? Ask your therapist for alternate ways to connect with them in times of need beforehand, so you never feel a lack of support!
4. Ask Questions -Don’t be afraid to ask your therapist any questions, you have the right to know. Ask them about the duration of calls, the frequency and what the process will entail. This will help you set up your expectations and be better prepared to manage your own mental health.
5. Give yourself time -A first therapy session can seem daunting and even uncomfortable at first, remember that getting used to the process takes time. Take it at your own pace and always remember, your therapist is here to help you - so give yourself some time.
Keeping these tips in mind could be extremely helpful especially in a nerve wracking situation like your first therapy session. The biggest obstacle we face is usually about having to talk to a stranger about your deepest fears. A great place to start with therapy is to go slow, start by addressing this very concern with your therapist before plunging into the deep end of the pool.
Remembering to respect your own boundaries yet choosing to embrace a new change is a courageous step.
Always make sure to take this time for yourself, to choose a place for the call where you feel most safe and comfortable and be open with your therapist right off the bat.
A great place to begin a working relationship with your new therapist is to discuss topics that make you uncomfortable and establish your “no go areas”.
Discussing these points will also help your therapist to form an action plan that suits you best and respect your privacy at the end of the day.
PRO TIP : The best way to manage your mental health and shoot your own stress levels down is to download the Carebyte App!With skilled clinical psychologists on the team and your very own 24*7 health concierge, you can leave your troubles to them and focus on yourself. From managing the appointments to making sure you get the assistance you want - your mental health is in good hands. We respect your privacy - Any information shared by you with the therapist is kept private and confidential and won’t be shared with anyone outside of your choice.